Canada visa approved sign illustration design over a white background

Family Sponsorship Immigration; You can sponsor some members of your family to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and are at least 18 years old. This will allow your relative to reside, study, and work in Canada.

Basic prerequisites for sponsoring a family:

Being a sponsor

  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You must be a citizen of Canada, a permanent resident, or a person who has a Canadian Indian Act registration.
  • A sponsorship contract must be signed by you and the sponsored relative, in which you promise to help out financially if necessary. The person becoming a permanent resident will also make every effort to support themselves, according to this agreement.
  • Depending on who you are further duties could be imposed on the sponsor.


Who can you support?

  • spouse, common-law spouse, or romantic companion
  • dependents you have
  • Parents and grandparents you have
  • Your siblings, nieces, nephews, granddaughters, and grandsons who are orphaned, younger than 18, and not married or living with a common-law partner
  • Another relative of any age or connection, but only in certain circumstances
  • a few relatives who go along with the above


Spouse: If you are wed to your sponsor and your union is recognized by the law, you are considered a spouse.

You are a common-law partner if you have lived together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year, whether you are of the same sex or the opposing sex. At least one continuous year (a 12-month period that was not interrupted). You’ll need evidence that your common-law partner and you have merged your finances and established a home.

Conjugal partner This category is for couples, whether of the same sex or the opposite sex, who were unable to live together due to unusual circumstances beyond their control and thus were unable to qualify as common-law partners or spouses.

Dependent youngsters: A son or daughter is reliant on another person when the child:

  • has no spouse or common-law partner and is under the age of 22;
  • is above 22 years old and has, due to a medical or mental condition, relied heavily on a parent’s financial support since before turning 22.


Family Work Permit

In-laws and spouses

Under the Spousal Work Permit Pilot Program, partners who are already residents of Canada may be permitted to work while their immigration applications are being processed.

Candidates who meet the requirements must apply under the category of Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada and keep a current temporary status as a visitor, student, or employee.

However, once the regulatory changes take effect, Immigration Canada will make this Pilot Program permanent.

Read also; Canada Express Entry Immigration 2022

Top Secrets for Canada Citizenship and immigration 2022

New Strong Method on How to Immigrate to Canada with a Canadian Immigration Lawyer in 2022

Immigration to Canada in 2022


Sponsorship Requirements

All sponsors are expected to sign an agreement promising to meet the sponsored person’s needs from the time they enter Canada until the agreement’s expiration. The agreement between the sponsors and CIC states that the sponsors will pay back the government for any social assistance they may have received.

Paid to the person who is being sponsored. Even in the event of a change in circumstances, such as a separation, divorce, or change in financial circumstances, Sponsors are still bound by the undertaking agreement for the duration of the contract.


A sponsor must agree to pay back the federal or provincial governments for a period of three (3) years starting on the date the spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner becomes a permanent residence.

For your expert personnel,visit here;

The duty for a sponsor’s or spouse’s, common-law partner’s, or conjugal partner’s dependent child under the age of 22 begins on the day the kid becomes a permanent resident of Canada for a term of ten years.

Until the child turns 22 years old, or until that time, whichever comes first. The duration of this project varies in the province of Quebec.


The responsibility begins on the day the dependent kid becomes a permanent resident and lasts for three (3) years in the case of a sponsor’s or spouse’s, common-law partner’s, or conjugal partner’s dependent child over the age of 22.


The sponsorship responsibility for parents and grandparents lasts for 20 years starting on the day the family class member becomes a permanent resident. All other family members are subject to a 10-year duty.


In its 2011 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada

In the Attorney-General of Canada v. Mavi ruling, the court found that while a sponsor’s duty to pay back the state for benefits received by his or her relatives may occasionally be postponed, it is never completely off the books.


sponsors who are not Canadians

Canadian citizens residing abroad may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children without dependent children of their own who have not been convicted of a crime that results in bodily harm, as long as they can show that they will continue to live in Canada after the sponsored individuals become permanent residents.


It is not permitted for permanent residents to sponsor their relatives who live outside of Canada. They must stay in Canada while being sponsored.


Additionally, a partner or

If a common-law partner is cohabiting in Canada, they may submit an in-Canada application to sponsor them; otherwise, the application must be submitted through a visa office. Sponsors face a variety of problems and difficulties in these areas.

Quebec sponsors and sponsored individuals:

Sponsor (guarantor): If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Quebec, you are at least 18 years old, and you meet the requirements, you may sponsor a close relative who has not been convicted of a crime causing bodily harm.


Sponsored individual (near relative): You may support by:

  • your spouse, your civil union partner, or your sexual partner
  • dependent child of yours
  • your grandfather, grandmother, father, or other family members – Additional restrictions apply
  • your sister, your orphaned siblings, Under-18-year-old nephew, niece, grandchild, or granddaughter who is not yet married or living with a common-law partner

a kid you’re hoping to adopt (international adoption)

For your expert personnel,visit here;


Leave a Reply